Sunday, August 12, 2012

My Mom The Survivor

For the past 5 years we've walked in the Susan G Komen Race For The Cure.  We do this in honor of my Mom who is now a seven year survivor.  Usually I have our team put together in the spring as soon as registration opens.  I fundraise all summer long, usually donate proceeds from a garage sale and/or bake sale, but this year I fell way behind.  I'm ashamed to say that I even contemplated not walking.  Number one reason, it's been 100+ degrees for most of the summer.  Number two reason, I've been chasing a four year old, two year old, and keeping up with the demands of a newborn all summer long.  I decided (almost before registration closed) that neither of these were good enough excuses to consider not honoring my Mom and the battle she fought. 

Our journey started in September 2005 when my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer.  After a lumpectomy, hysterectomy, lymph node biopsey, six rounds of chemotherapy, and six weeks of radition she got the green light in April 2006 that she had beat the cancer.  Those seven months were the most horrible of my entire life.  I had to watch the strongest woman I know suffer every day.  From loosing her hair, to not being able to eat, to having the chemotherapy suck every ounce of life out of her and make her the sickest I've ever seen anyone, she fought and fought hard.  And she won.  I thank God every day that she won.  She is my best friend, and if my best friend had not won that fight I don't know where I would be today.  This is why I am ashamed that I ALMOST didn't make the walk this year.  My Mom, my best friend, needs to know that I am so proud of her for fighting with every ounce of being she has inside of her.  She needs to know that I am the luckiest daughter in the world to have a Mom like her.  She needs to know that my daughters are the luckiest grand-daughters in the world to have a MeMe like her.  Our world would not be the same had she not won her fight.

Since I was late to register us, our team was small this year.  Just my Mom, Dad, and myself.  My Dad had to work today, so my Mom and I went alone.  I think that made the day even more special.  We walked through the tents, walked a mile, went through some more tents, and then went out to breakfast together.  It was perfect.  I cherish that one-on-one time with my Mom.  It was a very special morning, and I look forward to walking with her whether it's on a big team or just the two of us for many more years to come.

This year they had a survivor flower garden.  It looks like my message was copied down incorrectly, but it's the thought that counts!  Mom got to take her flower with her.  She carried it all during the walk, and then took it home with her.




Getting ready to race!


I'm a survivor!





Mom getting her rose.

We've walked, now let's go to breakfast!


Brought the girls our pom poms.  They were super excited.


If you are inspired by my Mom, or another breast cancer surivor please consider making a donation in their honor or memory on our team page.









No comments:

Post a Comment