Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tortilla Crumbs

In a Mexican restaurant you can always tell when you got the last of the chips in your basket.  They're all crumbly.  Same thing happens at home, the bottom of the bag is nothing but crumbs.  Well I have a recipe that's perfect for all those crumbs.  You get a fantastic dinner and the satisfaction of knowing that you did not waste any of the chips!!  I tore this recipe out of a Southern Living magazine.  Apparently, that was in May 2008.  It's stayed with me that long, so you know the recipe must be a keeper.

I love On The Border tortilla chips, especially the red corn with a touch of garlic.  I could probably eat the entire bag. . . . . .

 
 
 The mix
 
 
 The meat
 
 
 The dinner


Tortilla-Crusted Pork
2 lb pork tenderloin
1/2 cup finely crushed blue-corn tortilla chips
1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
1 Tbsp coarsely ground pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided

  1. Remove silver skin from tenderloin leaving a thin layer of fat covering the tenderloin.  Cut tenderloin into 1 inch thick medallions.
  2. Combine chips and next 4 ingredients in a bowl.  Dip pork into 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and dredge in tortilla chip mixture.
  3. Cook pork medallions in remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 6 minutes on each side or until done.
I made some yummy Mexican rice.  I got the recipe here from PW.  I cut the recipe in half, and didn't have all the exact ingredients on hand but with what I had it still turned out yummy! 

The only thing missing from this was a scrumptious margarita.  Unfortunately, my alcohol is not very well stocked right now.  Apparently, babies don't like margarita flavored milk.  Who knew?  That's ok, we'll get it stocked back up once I'm no longer a milk cow.  Until then, our Mexican nights will be booze free.  Hope you enjoy the pork, it's a winner at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment